Purpose of role: To provide operational leadership of the Logistics function from the despatch through to store deliveries and reverse logistics across Europe and USA.
Reports to: Director of Supply Chain
Work Location: To be based in one of the following locations:
Islip depot, Northants UK
Arthur Ryan House, Dublin
Primark House, Reading
Naas depot, Ireland
Monchengladbach depot, Germany
Roosendaal depot, Netherlands
Torija depot, Spain
The Logistics Director will provide strategic leadership to the logistics team on all matters relating to the warehousing and transport operations.
As a leader you will be instrumental in building and developing the logistics capability to sustain Primark’s growth and international expansion plans.
- Lead a global team of c.4,000 colleagues across our 8 warehousing depots and transport operations spanning 7 countries
- Budget responsibility of £250m+ across the end to end logistics operations
- Lead the operations teams on the delivery of safety, service and cost KPI’s
- To ensure the operational business plans, KPI’s, values and people processes are delivered and embedded.
- To lead the Logistics team to attract, acquire and develop the necessary talent to continuously improve team performance and capability
- To ensure that the Supply Chain is able to support the current trading and future expansion plans
- Work with the Head of Development to develop and then execute the 10 year strategic plan in relation to the Logistics operation including the continued introduction of new ways of working, processes, systems and automation
- To effectively manage relationships with key stakeholders to deliver great service at the best possible cost for Primark
- Lead the strategic relationships of the third party operators across inbound, warehousing, transport, re-processing and reverse logistics.
- Develop best in class operations be sharing best practice internally and benchmarking externally so as to continuously enhance the Primark Supply Chain and business
- Proven track record in leading multi-country, large-scale Logistics operations in both retail and ideally e-commerce
- A proven leader with robust operational and commercial understanding
- Evidence of strong influencing skills and an ability to work across multiple countries and the wider business
- Strong people leader who has demonstrated the ability to build and develop high performing teams
- Experience of the successful delivery of large scale change programs involving automation
- Proven track record of managing in-house and 3PL managed operations
- Develops and implements strategies and processes to improve customer service across the business.
- Focused on long term customer satisfaction and works to align all actions, processes and decisions so that they deliver long term, sustainable customer satisfaction, as well as supporting the long-term interests of the business.
- Promotes decisions that benefit Primark even if they are unpopular or controversial and probes others’ decision making to ensure the interests of Primark are always protected.
- Acts as an ambassador for Primark both internally and externally and takes responsibility for all aspects of the business
Communication & Influence
- Provides a professional and credible view when representing the team and department
- Builds and maintains effective communication channels internally and externally
- Considers the impact of communication and prepares the ground in advance when planning to convey important or difficult messages
- Delivers messages which influence the way in which staff see Primark and/or their jobs
- Is highly focused on the delivery of quality outputs
- Consistently demonstrating and role modelling a concern for quality and maintaining an awareness of what is going on around them, in order to take action to correct others’ quality issues
- Establishes, communicates and monitors quality standards whilst ensuring that work quality is of the highest order
- Systematically examines the market to identify trends and the potential impact on Primark in order to build up a market understanding over a sustained period
- Builds up a network of key external information sources including managers from other leading retailers and logistics providers
- Regularly gathers internal and external information to enable business decisions to be made in the context of economic, social and business trends
- Uses personal judgement to make key commercial decisions that have a significant impact on the success of the business as a whole
Analytical Thinking & Problem Solving Skills
- Uses a range of analytical techniques to break apart complex problems and identify solutions whilst evaluating whether arguments are sound
- Challenging the status quo and systematically analyses options
Planning & Organisation
- Balances time of the team appropriately between the day-to-day, tactical tasks and the longer term strategic priorities ensuring both are achieved
- Keeps all priorities in clear perspective and ensures resources are appropriately aligned to meet delivery requirements
- Able to work across multiple countries and cultures
- Develops high performing teams through a nurturing and supportive approach
- Encourages self-development and a learning environment
- Acts as a role model for others across the company
- Is culturally aware and able to support remote and matrix teams
We are fully committed to supporting people with a disability in applying for our vacancies. If you have a disability and require support throughout the recruitment process you can contact us here disABILITY@primark.co.uk and let us know what adjustments you may need.